Sunday, October 17, 2010

::blurry in a good way::

A photographer that I have a great deal of respect for, Kristen Duke, does a weekly series on TheIdeaRoom and she just did a write up about dragging your shutter.  (LINGO!!  I KNOW A LINGO WORD!)  She took an amazing picture of her dear friend/husband standing together while their kids ran circles around them.  The kids are blurry and the grownups are focused.  It shows the crazy movement of an active family.  That picture greatly appealed to me.  

It is a really cool technique and I must figure it out. 

So, on our camping trip I began.

There was a perfect little spot to set my camera on, because you need a tripod or stable surface.
This picture was my first try.
Not blurry enough.

Then I slowed the shutter down even more.
But see how the slide got at least a little blurry?
A real tripod would have fixed that.  And she is not well placed in the frame.  
Maybe I should shoot this with a large frame and then just crop it down in editing.

And even slower gets more blur.
Still not well placed in the frame, but I think I am starting to get the idea of it.  

I can't wait to get the chance to try this is a kiddo family shoot.  Or maybe I could use it in a family with dog shot.    Who's up for being my test subject?

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally trying thus at my shoot tomorrow. Family with four kiddos...I can't wait!! I love these bc she's such a sparkplug, shutterspeed might just be her best element!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I can't wait to try it. I just recently tried panning my daughter on the swing so she is in focus and everything behind her is blurry. But I had never thought of the opposite effect. Plus congrats on your new little bun in the oven. I wanted to switch your comment today over to yesterday so you could win. Come back and leave a quick hello comment on the CSN post. Lots of baby stuff! I want regular readers to get it instead of people who troll for the giveaways : )
    Dana

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails