Sunday, May 29, 2011

::three sisters::

One of my favorite things in the whole world in multitasking.  LOVE IT!!!  Getting two things or more done at the same time feels like heaven.  I think that is why three sisters gardening appealed to me.  You make a mound and plant 5 corn seeds.  Once they are about 6 inches tall you thin them to 3 plants.  Then you plant five climbing beans in the mound, thinning them to three.  As the corn grown the beans grow up them. At the same time you plant the beans you plant four squash seeds, thinning to one.    These three sisters work together in a perfectly symbiotic relationship.  The beans and corn use and provide different nutrients to each other.  The squash (pumpkins? or luffas?  I'll do a crazy type I think) spreads out and acts as a weed mat.  At the very far end of my orchard garden I have three mounds ready for this.  The corn is planted and just starting to poke up.  I will keep you posted on the progress. 
photo from here


Best place to explain it.  Because it was written for children, so I can understand it.



CreativeShareWednesdays

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails