Sunday, December 18, 2011

::peppermint bark::

 I LOVE white chocolate.  It is just about my favorite things ever.  I also know that my wonderful neighbors love it too.  So I thought the kids and I would have fun making some peppermint bark.  

 I don't actually own a double boiler so we just use a heat safe spatula and pyrex bowl - placed over a pan of boiling water.  Lily got to help with spatula duty.  It scares the crap out of me to let her use the stove but I was right next to her the whole time. 
  
While we were stirring, Max was carefully crushing two pounds of candy canes.  We put them in a ziplock and let him beat them with cans.  It was a perfect job for that beast.  When the chocolate was melted we poured in the candy canes and stirred them in.  We sprayed pam into two baking sheets and then poured in the chocolate mix.  We let it cool and harden for two hours and then used a fork to pop out chunks. 

We ended up with a TON of it.  Which is not a problem.  We gave away about 2/3rds of it and kept the rest to snack on.  It tastes wonderful and was a perfect kid easy cooking project. 

Two dozen candy canes $1 each box X 2 = $2.00
Three bags of white chocolate chips $2.50 X 3 = $7.50
Total cost = less than $10

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the idea. I was looking for a cheap holiday activity to do with the kids. I have a beast that would love the crushing part too! And lot o little fingers that would enjoy mixing, melting and the rest.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails